Wednesday, September 1, 2010

New Orleans-5 Years Later

It's hard to beleive that it's been 5 years since Hurricane Katrina devistated the Gulf Coast and saw lives changed forever; my life included. Now, after 5 years and 6 trips to the coast to help clean up efforts I am reminded of the desparate need of those communities for physical and spiritual healing. We, the body of Christ, have the opportunity to be the hands and feet of God. Problems like New Orleans and the Gulf Coast can try to be solved by the governement and there relief agencies but the reality is that if you have been to New Orleans you will quickly see that it is the church that is living out the gospel every day and rebuilding that city one brick and one prayer, one helping hand at a time. When I first arrived in NO for the first time the city was devestated as we were one of the first groups in. I came upon a pile of stuff outside of a house as most people were unloading every earthly possession they had to be thrown out. On a refrigerator outside of a destroyed house the home owner penned this powerful statement "This pile of stuff is not my life; my life is hidden with Christ." I ask myself that very question today and I challenge you to do the same. If your life "this pile of stuff" or is your life hidden with Christ. May we go be the hands and feet of Christ today!!!!

No comments: